Although the present structure dates to the Ming Dynasty , the historical site of construction for the pagodas dates back 1,700 years. A Buddhist pagoda built during the reign of Sun Quan in the 3rd century originally stood at the site , along with another pagoda built during the Liang Dynasty . The current design of the pagoda structure was made between the years 1131 and 1162, during the Song Dynasty . Patronage and construction for the Song era pagoda was headed by the Buddhist monk Dayuan. However, the pagoda was burnt down by fire towards the end of the Song Dynasty and rebuilt during the MIng.
During the modern repairs of the pagoda in 1960 and 1975, Chinese artifacts were found within the , including a copper turtle and statues of the . The latest restoration of the pagoda was in 2006.